Knowing what questions to ask roofers before hiring one can save you money and stress down the road. By researching, you can ensure the highest-quality installation for your new roof and prevent unwelcome surprises.
11 Questions to Ask Roofers Before Hiring
Being prepared will help you find the roofing contractor you can be confident and comfortable with working on your home’s most valuable asset, the roof. Don’t hire a roofing contractor until you ask these questions.
- Are you a licensed roofing contractor? You want to work with a roofing company that’s in compliance and up-to-date on their license and insurance for your protection.
- Is your business local, and how long have you been operating? Working with a local business has many benefits. Not only do you get a more personal touch, but also, they’re close in case of a problem. Also, a roofing contractor that’s been in business for longer has more experience and reviews you can check out.
- Do you use roofing subcontractors? Some roofing companies hire subcontractors. While there’s nothing wrong with this, you should know who is working on your roof. If they’re using subcontractors, ask for the insurance certificate to verify that the roofer has general liability insurance.
- Do you carry workman’s comp and general liability insurance? Workman’s comp insurance covers the roofers working on your home; liability insurance protects your property.
- Will you remove my old roof? It’s not unheard of for roofing contractors to make the call to shingle over the existing roof rather than remove the old roof. Ask your roofer so you know what you are getting.
- How long will my roof replacement take from start to finish? The average roof replacement takes 2-3 days. In some cases, it could take up to a week. Be sure to ask so you know what to expect.
- What steps do you take to protect my property? Roofing jobs require a lot of equipment and materials to complete the work. Ensure that whomever you hire has steps to handle equipment to not damage other parts of your home, such as windows and gutters.
- What is the plan if there is inclement weather? Roofing requires good weather for safety and timely completion. Work gets cut short when it rains, snows, or the weather turns sour. You’ll need to know what to expect should the weather turn sour.
- When Do I need to pay? Ask about the payment structure. Some companies ask for a small amount upfront. However, be wary if they require payment in full before the job begins, especially after a storm.
- How long is my warranty, and what does it cover? The average roof warranty lasts seven to fifteen years, depending on your chosen roof. If the contractor doesn’t offer any warranty, this is a huge red flag, and you should walk away immediately.
- Whom can I speak to if I have questions? It’s not uncommon to have questions. Ask your roofer for the name and number of someone you can speak to if questions arise.
A Roofing Company in Northwest Arkansas You Trust
Don’t trust your home’s roof to just anyone. Avoid common roofing mistakes begins with finding the right contractor.
Call Perry Roofing Company today. Our team of professionals at Perry Roofing provides the best service and quality roofing in Northwest Arkansas. We are locally owned and operated and understand that your home is one of your most significant investments. Contact us today for a FREE Estimate. 479.306.4327
Was this article on questions to ask your roofer helpful? Check out more here.